Thursday, December 17, 2009

Getting to grips

On Monday I attended my first meeting of the editors of Progress in Human Geography, one of the top three ranked journals in human geography. I take up my post as a new editor on Jan. 1st, though I've already been dealing with papers. I've therefore been on a crash course this week of trying to get to grips with how the journal functions and operates - every journal has its idiosyncracies and this one is no different. It was a real honour to be asked to join the editor's team, so hopefully I won't muck the thing up. At least it's all done virtually through online submission; my office is a mess of shifting piles of paper that submissions would have had every possibility to get lost in.

2 comments:

Matthew W. Wilson said...

Great news, Rob! Looking forward to the new opportunities you'll bring to the journal.

Philip Amos said...

Good luck with this new venture, Rob -- I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. The journal I edited for some years had the advantage of having a fine and active board of editorial consultants but only one editor -- moi. This meant that only I really needed to know how it functioned and operated, and idiosyncrasy and orthodoxy were indistinguishable.:-)