Sunday, April 18, 2010

The long, dusty road home

The ash cloud over Europe has claimed another victim. My flight home has been cancelled and I have been rebooked onto a flight on the 25th April. So, whether I like it or not, I have another week in Washington, along with several hundred other people who were attending the same meeting. No doubt there are millions of others stranded in the wrong place all over the world. The lack of information to travellers is astonishing, not helped by the internet in the hotel being down for the last day or so. The next task is to find another hotel for tonight whilst I work out what I'm going to do for the week ...

My posts this week:
Review of Truth by Peter Temple
Review of Paying For It by Tony Black
NAMA might demolish, but what about the rest?
Noirish night
Review of Criminal Summer by Luigi Guicciardi
Review of A Firing Offense by George Pelecanos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob - Hope you're able to find a raesonably comfortable place to stay while you're stranded on the U.S. side of the ocean. I hope you get home safely.

Bernadette said...

I know it's undoubtedly extremely frustrating for you to not be able to get home when you want and need to but I am a teensy bit jealous. I've always said I'd love to have an excuse to spend a week at the Smithsonian - and now you can! Hope you manage to find a place to lay your weary head and some decent internet access.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Rob-we have a very close friend at George Washington University who said if you email him, he will fix you up with an office and introduce you to some of his colleagues. He is a very nice fellow and I think this will make your week pass faster. He is the director for the Public Policy Center there and does work on housing-he knows people in Mancester and Salford. hwolman@gwu.edu
He will be very helpful.