Saturday, August 11, 2012

On the ropes

Carter ducked left, then danced right.  A blow caught his ribs, followed by a jab to the temple.  He blindly threw a punch, hitting nothing but thin air.

Thought: there has to be a better way to make a living.

His head swivelled, his jaw tugging at its sockets.  He tottered backwards, the ropes halting his fall.  Instinctively he raised his gloves, pulling them in tight to his face and body.

Thought: where’s the damn bell when you need it?

He tried to soak up the punches.  Then he was staring up at the lights.

Thought: why is he counting?



A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Great one! Took me a while to realise I was facing a boxing ring. I also liked the cover of KILLER REELS.

Anonymous said...

Rob - What a great way to capture what boxers experience. Well done

Unknown said...

Hi...I've looked that old scoundrel death in the eye many times but this time I think he has me on the ropes.Read more-Boxing Laois