Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lazy Sunday Service

I picked up Joe Joyce's Echoland and Arnaldur Indridason's Strange Shores on Friday afternoon.  I've had them on order for a while and I'm looking forward to reading both. Irish historical crime fiction set in the early to mid-twentieth century seems to be flourishing at present, with Echoland taking place in June 1940 (other examples include Kevin McCarthy's O'Keefe series, Brendan John Sweeney's Once in Another World, Michael Russell's The City of Shadows, Benjamin Black's Quirke books, Stuart Neville's Ratlines).  I suspect that Strange Shores will be a bittersweet read given it is the final book in the excellent Reykjavik series.  I'm still behind in posting reviews so expect a flurry in the next few days, including Nate Silver's The Signal in the Noise, Patrick deWitt's The Sisters Brothers, Michael Harvey's The Third Rail, and Colin Coterill's Love Songs from a Shallow Grave.

On Tuesday I was interviewed for RTE tv news, with another clip being used on the radio.  I still prefer doing the live interviews as you never quite know how you are going to be edited, but this turned out okay, I think.

My posts this week:
Review of The Reckoning by Jane Casey
Winters Bone by Daniel Woodrell on Petrona Remembered
Review of Waiting for Sunrise by William Boyd
Marching to Inishglora

No comments: