Saturday, January 28, 2017

Double or quits

Kenny watched impassively as the black ball rolled across the green felt and dropped into the pocket.

‘That’s a hundred quid,’ Mike said.

‘Double or quits?’

‘I want the money first.’

‘I only have fifty.  I’ll owe you the rest.’

‘You played for money you didn’t have?’

‘I wasn't planning on losing.’

‘And I wasn’t planning on being short-changed.’

The cue cracked into Kenny’s raised forearm.

Half-a-dozen men converged on the two grappling men.

A cue slid across the green baize ripping the cloth.

‘Enough!’ Big Tony roared. ‘That’s a grand you owe me.’

Both men bolted for the door.


A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Money always seems to have that effect.... Nice, tense scene you wrote there, Rob. I like it.