Saturday, May 12, 2018

Integrity

Logan ended the call. He wasn’t sure what was worse – Cronin’s intimidation, his guilt, or that he was going to lose the case. He was defending a man who had raped and murdered an elderly woman.

The door cracked open. ‘Charlie?’

‘Sometimes I hate this job.’

‘But only sometimes.’

She ghosted into the room.

‘I’m defending a monster; if I win it’ll be a miscarriage of justice.’

‘Many innocents get convicted.’

‘And I hate that as much as I hate to lose.’

She slid onto his lap.

‘Quit.’

‘I can’t.’

‘Then coast.’

‘I’ll lose.’

‘It’s called integrity.’

‘I’m a lawyer.’


A drabble is a story of exactly 100 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like that depiction of the dilemma, Rob. That's got to be a really difficult part of being a lawyer - what to do about people are are clearly guilty of heinous crimes - but still have the right to a fair trial...